Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Be Authentic


In fact, we cannot get along without the parts of the body that seem to be the weakest. We take special care to dress up some parts of our bodies. We are modest about our personal parts, but we don't have to be modest about other parts. God put our bodies together in such a way that even the parts that seem the least important are valuable. (1 Corinthians 12:22-24 CEVDCUS06)

Being bald people would understand if I chose to hide my lack of hair. In a world were we are taught to cover up unattractive features about ourselves or to even go so far as to "enhance" those features to make them more appealing it would be fine for me to cover my head and remove any attention to my condition. We are told that if you don't like something then change it. So we add in the extensions and watch the makeup tutorials to present this idea of perfection to the outside world. Not realizing the world doesn't need you to be perfect God already fills that position, the world needs the authentic you. 

This past Saturday I ran into a woman while out with coworkers. We were passing each other and she complimented me on being beautiful I thanked her and the night proceed on. Later that night she came back to me and sat at my booth. She began to tell me about her mother who just went through chemo. I explained my condition but she knew I could still relate to how her mother felt about losing her hair. She wanted to take a picture with me so that she could have proof of a bald woman still being beautiful. I honestly pray that the picture we took did help her mother in some way. Her mother was discouraged and ashamed of her condition that she didn't realize she should be proud of the survivor that she becoming. 

My baldness could be viewed as how you yourself view your least favorite feature. But if I would have cover my imperfection that conversation would have never happen . It says it in his word our least important parts are even valuable. So why not view them as so? J. Cole even said, "I keep my twisted grill just to show the kids it's REAL." in his song Crooked Smile. We aren't picture perfect but we feel the need to always broadcast ourselves as such. What message are you portraying to those that look to you? Is it something that could inspire someone to embrace themselves or will they feel the need to try and reach an image of perfection because they look up to you. Do I want you to remove your wigs and extensions? Do I expect you never to wear makeup! No, this post isn't saying do none of that. But does the world ever see you without it, or are you bound to the image of draping inches? Will you still post the picture even without the perfect brow shape or your face beat? Understand this your bondage to your image could also be holding others captive as well. Choose authenticity queen, your crown is waiting.

Krowning Glory 

3 comments:

  1. Powerful! Confidence goes a long way and you've exuded it since the day I've met you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Janitha, thank you for being so transparent and i pray that you continue to touch others through your story. I'm so glad I've got to connect with you. And just as you stated before "we're not picture perfect but we're worth the picture still" . We can all take something from that!

    ReplyDelete